Friday 3 May 2013

Reviews from March


 

Review of the House on Blackstone Moor
(10th Review for March)
www.reviewoffantasy.com


The Story is told through the eyes of Rose, a damaged young lady in her twenties, abused at the hands of the people she trusts the most.
After coming home to find her family dead, she is whisked off to an asylum, where Doctor Bannion takes her under his wing and secures a job for at the house on Blackstone Moor. Her duties at the house are to take care of Ada and Simon the children of Mr and Mrs Darton.
Half way through the book you get the idea that something sinister is happening at the house, but once you reach the half-way point the book goes into full throttle.
I have spent all day trying to think of how to explain this book, as I have never read one quite like it. It’s told through the eyes of Rose but she is speaking to the reader at times saying things like “Bear with me” and “We will learn more about that later in the story” It is an unusual way of writing, one I have never encountered before, different but not off putting.
Anyway to explain the story it’s evil to its core. My stomach turned so much reading this book that it’s not for the light hearted ( like myself, I have a very weak stomach). It’s a book of incest, rape, abuse, lies, betrayals, murder and sadness so so much sadness.

It reminds me of the taker, but on a much heavier scale. Perfectly written, the story held my interest but when it was gruesome, it was gruesome.



 
Review of Darkness of Light


 (9th review for March)
I received this book for an honest review. I had 90% read in six hours, but at 2am in the morning and work at 8 I had to peel myself away from the screen. But I finished it the next morning. And what a story it was. This book reminds me of Iron King only on a much cooler and grown-up scale.

Ember has such a dry and sarcastic sense of humour that I laughed through so much of this book. She was no damsel in distress, and could hold her own. There were so many times I smiled when she stood up to certain people, her comebacks brilliant. She has a habit of just saying what she’s thinking, really she has no filter and it’s so, so funny. Just loved her as a main character.

The love story is not your usual. Eli is harsh, bitter, and sarcastic but the two of them, together, in one place is brilliant. Between the sexual tension and dry remarks it worked like a dream.
Stories of fae can be sweet, kinda like a bed time story, but Darkness to Light in no bed-time story quite the opposite.

This is story telling with a new kind of twist on it.

Just Brilliant. Loved it.



Review of Inquest (Part one in the destroyer Trilogy) Author Del Sheree Gladden

(8th Book for March)

I was given this book for an honest review. www.reviewoffantasy.com

I loved every second of this book and now I am a fan.

Libby a young sixteen year old anxiously awaits her inquest, to see what her talents are. In total there are seven; Speed, Strength, Perception, Spiritualism, Vision, Naturalism and Concealment. Normally you receive between one and three which is average, but Libby has known for a long time that she has all seven, which you would think would be awesome. Hmmm, no, too have all seven means you’re the destroyer a title that comes with a penalty – death.
This book got my attention from page one all the way to page 378 now I want book two. Loved Libby, I laughed at her sarcastic attitude throughout the book her optimism after losing everything was amazing.
My favourite is the love triangle between Lance her x-boyfriend and Milo the strange guy. By the end of the book she has to pick one, it’s not the end of this triangle. Don’t want to say too much or I’ll spoil it.

Overall a great read. I finished it in a day and a half but would have read it quicker only for life’s interferences (work). I cannot wait for book 2. I would like to thank the author for allowing me to review her book, I truly enjoyed every second of it. 

 


Review of Eternal Lovers (7th book for March)

I'm not in the habit of reading steamy light paranormal. I found Eternal Lovers interesting with lots of adventure and surprises along the way.
Jennifer is born with some unusual talents which she inherited from the father she never knew. She can read the thoughts and communicate with animals as well as see peoples past lives. The story starts off when she’s a child being raised by her grandparents, but the story fast forwards to the present. Jennifer is twenty four and married to her long term friend Bill by the second chapter. While taking a vacation to see her best friend Alice she becomes increasingly attracted to Gabriel, a dark and mysterious man. By this time the reader knows Gabriel is much more than a man. He is an immortal alien who is over five thousand years old. He and his companions came to Earth to save the human race. When her feelings for Gabriel reach a boiling point, she leaves to return to her husband... being unfaithful is not something she would do. But what she finds shatters her world. The love story between her and Gabriel develops and is steamy to the bitter end.


 

 

review of Seekers of the stone (6th review for March)

Review of;  Seekers of the Stone.


Where to begin, this story is fantasy/Sci-fi and the tale is woven through facts and fiction, an elaborate tale of the end of the world as we know it, only to be stopped by information that was laid out and hidden from people of the past.

The story is mainly told through the eyes of Saira a young seeker who can revisit past lives and shape shift. Seekers are few on earth and their existence are kept secret. Saira is living in a world where the weather rages uncontrollably destroying much of the earth, it’s set in Alaska 2252, she has been given the impossible mission of seeking knowledge about the Mayan calendar that held the truth about past, present and future events that would occur.

In other to save the world she must find the calendar and decipher the code to save the earth. But as always it’s a puzzle of putting past with present unearthing secret scrolls, finding stones that can take you anywhere in the past, hidden caves and unearthing buried treasure.
It’s woven beautifully and makes you think, could these facts possibly be true is there so much more to our existence. It’s an amazing story that I know will linger with for a long time, and one of those books that I will read again. The story is jammed packed with information yet easy to follow and fast paced. There is a love story throughout the book, and a story of family and friendship.

I would highly recommend this, hence why I gave it five stars. If I had to use one word to describe this book it would be that it’s a masterpiece.

Well done A.K. Hawing, what a wonderful story.


Forth  Book to review: Elixir Bound
Review of Fantasy/Paranormal Books

The opening scene of Katora on the Case Farm is so well written, I could see it so clearly. Katora is driven and hardworking and next in line to take over the family farm that is well known for their essence drink. But on a wintry night a stranger arrives looking for elixir to save his only grandson. At that moment Katora is thrown into a world wind of secrets and responsibility. Not only is she next in line to take over the farm. She is also next in line to become protector of the Elixir.

With the Elixir running out Katora must take her first journey into Faway Forest, Kylene, Bhar, and Hirsten accompany Katora as well as  Palafair a small demick creature who is part of the family.  
This is where the story begins. Well faway forest is definitely full of creatures and the unknown it doesn't take long before trouble finds Katora and her companions, it seems she is not the only one looking for the ingredients of the Elixir.

 There is a love story between Katora and Hirsten that grows throughout the story. The story is fast paced with action and adventure it never slows and we get to meet a witch, demick creatures, and so much more. 

I would recommend this book as a good read. 



My Review of Dark Heroine:
this book started out great the first 360 pages is a love story. On a late night out Violet witness a mass murder of 30 men by none other then vampires. The leader prince Kaspar is cold and heartless but as the story develops a great love story develops between him and violet. Also there is a love triangle. Anyway at this stage there is a few things that Kaspar does being a predator and Violet excepts,as the love story goes on Kaspar nature comes to light, it's not his past doings, it's what he does even while with her, I found several things hard to believe but I went with it anyway. At the start of the book Violet is strong, sarcastic and feisty a real likable character. 

Then the story picks up a notch and I loved the next 100 pages where a great story kicks in, i got lost in it once again, as the love story took a back seat yet a great story line took over. but then on page 490 I felt like screaming to the extent i didn't finish the book with frustration. This is why.

(* SPOILER )*

Okay picture this she loves this guy and he loves her. But she is found out on a secret, that her dad killed his mom NOT HER BUT HER DAD. anyway they drag her by the head of hair outside across gravel, place a knife at her throat and decide to kill her. Kaspar all this time is looking at her as she cries but o no he is way to angry to help her. So he walks away to let her die. But a different guy saves her. Anyway it gets worse.

Later she asks him would you really have let me die and he says yes he would have, because he was SOOOOOOO angry. 
Now this amazing women that I have followed through the book would have told him to drop dead and I would have stood firmly beside her but NOOOOOOOOOOO she pokes him in the side playfully and asks could he forgive her for not telling him about her dad. He replies it will take time. 

AHHHHHH HE WAS PREPARED TO LET HER DIE, AND SHE BECAME A DOOR MAT. I JUST COULDN'T READ ANYMORE.

there was a few other things that i didn't like but i overlooked but this i couldn't it was so stupid, and annoying. Pity.


Star Rating: 

Firstly I was given this book for an honest review.

If I had to compare this to any other book, it would have to be the Demon Trapper by Jana Oliver, in its style.

The story is told through the eyes of 19year old twins Sarah and Shaun who are fallen. They live in a small house set in a forest, this is their base, a place to retire to after a long day’s work, but nothing ever goes smoothly in their personal lives or work. Their jobs are given to them by the council; if it’s helping a witch who is enchanted by black magic or slaying a nest of vampires, the list goes on of the supernatural creatures that are in this book, fairies, demons, werewolves, vampires and witches.
With all these creatures the story is fast paced and keep’s you reading – hence why I finished it in two days.

Shaun who is one of the 19year old twin’s is an amazing character. I love his sense of humour which is dry and his moody personality. I just took to him straight away. His story is a little more complex than his sisters with a horrible run in with a vampire that costs him an eye and a badly scarred body. His experience makes him supress his powers, making his job harder, but through the story he finds his powers, with the help from some people not all good especially Melisa who is just pure evil.

Sarah on the other hand is caught up in a love triangle between Ray and Dev, it’ funny throughout the book but I got annoyed by the end with Dev, I don’t know what his story is but I am hoping there is more than what meets the eye and hopefully it will be revealed in the next book. I wasn’t completely enthralled with Sarah, yes she was exciting and the story through her eyes was fast paced. I like her but just didn’t fully connect with her

In saying all that I would highly recommend this book, the writing was easy and flowed. It was a well thought out and written book. I hope I have the privilege of reviewing the second book.

 

Review of Across Time

This book was filled with facts about 1963, for anyone with an interest in that era this book may or may not interest you. I found it in the young adult section, but I feel it is targeted more to a younger age group. It's told through the eyes of a sixteen year old, called Christopher. Christopher and his best friend Susan, get thrown back in time. It was a simple read. But unfortunately not for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment