Tuesday 6 August 2013

Review of Pumkiniah the brave

Image

Synopsis:
Pumkiniah ran down the dark winding staircase toward the huge vault-like door, and without so much as a blink of an eye, she slid the giant bolt back across the door and swung it wide open. The creature did not move. He seemed to be sleeping. Pumki reached up and unhooked the large metal key and slid along the wall toward the dark crouching shadow. Holding her breath, she could feel her heart beating so fast as if it were exposed to the room. When she reached the back wall, she knelt down and slid slowly but purposefully toward the padlock that was attached to the chain that was attached to the werewolf. She slid the key in the lock, and the monster stirred. All of a sudden, with hands shaking and key turning, she noticed two blood-red eyes staring up at her, and the shadow stretched to its feet and moved slowly toward her. This is it, she thought, shaking. I'm as dead as a doornail. Gripped by intense terror, she froze on the spot, eyes closed, waiting for the first swipe, the first bite...and then suddenly, the feel of a large slimy wet tongue up the entire length of her face.


Review of Pumkiniah the Brave 

Rating: 5 Stars
www.reviewoffantasy.com

What can I say, reading this book felt like the first time I sat down and watched Monster’s Inc. or Shrek, it opened a whole new world of storytelling to me. This book was just as good, and I know if it gets into the right hands, I will one day sit down and watch it on the big screen.

Pumkiniah makes me smile even saying her name, I can see her as a scraggly yet neat and organized little fairy, always wanting to do her best and never afraid of change. She has a heart of gold. How naive she was had me laughing throughout the story. I often found myself reading parts and ringing my sister up (who has two children) that I know will adore this book, I would try my best to describe what I’m reading to let her see the humour in this story.

The author’s world was fascinating it’s something I love when I watch the likes of Shrek, Despicable me or the Incredible. I love the way they can mimic our world yet they do things totally different. In Pumkiniah the brave I loved how the author invented the transportation from a bird to a bottle, and where they lived in trees, the top shelf of the library or small cracks between builds – really just under our feet. G.E. Beyer has opened a whole new world to me one that I just loved.

I will definitely purchase a few copies of this book, for my nieces and nephews as it’s one they will love, and one I truly can’t wait to see on the big screen.



Thank you so much for allowing me to read such an enchanting story - of one, small but brave tooth fairies adventure.

 Where you can purchase this book:

No comments:

Post a Comment